Monday, July 30, 2012

Make It Monday - Hello Kitty Lanterns


Hello Kitty decorations are hard to come by so I was blown away when I saw how easy and inexpensive these lanterns are to make.  My friend's wedding shower was a Hello Kitty theme and we were really having a hard time coming up with decorations.  So I decided to make these lanterns instead of buying pre-made items this way we could customize it to the wedding theme as well.  

You start out with a plain basic white paper lantern.  I used a 12 inch but you can use any size that you would like.  

I then printed out Hello Kitty's ears, eyes, mouth and whiskers.  (See below for cut-outs)  You just need to adjust the printing size to fit your lantern.  You then cut them out and just start gluing to the lantern....simple!  I used regular craft glue.  To glue the ear, I folded about a 1/4 inch of the ear at the bottom to form a lip so I had something to glue to the lantern that was flat.  For the ear with the bow, you should glue most of the bow to the lantern but then you need to bend the ear forward so it is 3 dimensional.  You can't see from the picture above but I also purchased tulle from the craft store and made a veil on top so it had a bridal theme.  





All In All:  We used them for centerpieces so I glued the bottom of the lantern to a cheap flat tea light holder I found at Michael's.  I added a flameless candle to the inside and they were too cute!  Very easy to make!  Each one cost under $5.00 to make and were such a hit at the shower.






No comments:

Post a Comment